Friday, August 3, 2012

Things I Know: Time passes

This week, I know that my babies are growing at the speed of light.

I know that the birth of a friend's daughter, which prompted me to sort through stored baby clothes, and the need to get items out of storage for my no-longer-little C, has made me equal parts melancholy and amazed at how far we've come.

I know that I am too busy, and that I'm pushing myself too hard at the moment.

I know that my persistent back and neck discomfort is a warning of a crescendo of pain to come. (I know that it sucks to have curvature of the spine, and poor posture, when you're working long hours at a desk).

I know that this winter has been too cold, too long, too wet and too fraught, and that I am longing for spring with an intensity that borders on derangement.

I know that short escapes from the pressure cooker of my work, household and community commitments, mostly achieved through practising piano, walking and playing with my children and dog, and reading in bed, are what's holding it together for me at the moment.

I know that when your about-to-be9-year-old requests a birthday cake featuring a ringtail possum, you'll be VERY glad you have a friend with mad cake decorating skillz.

I know that I have to find a way to power down this weekend so I can be fully in the moment for A's birthday celebrations (movies and sleepover Saturday, family dinner Sunday).

I know that it's astonishing that I'm not sick now, but that I will probably get sick in October, when the work project gears down to a much less strenuous pace.

I know that time is passing at the same rate it always does, but that it feels faster than it ought to right now.

I'm playing along with the Things I Know meme over at Dorothy's today. Check out the post there for lots of interesting things people know!

5 comments:

  1. That cake is a bewdy!! Can i borrow the idea? (I'm way to busy too but I think i could fit in a ringtail possum cake - i did a jeanie in a bottle last year - much fun) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you continue to get the times you need to wind down. It's when those times don't happen that everything starts to fall down. I wish you always have time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cake it is as good as the Thomas The tank engine Pirate cake I saw earlier today for Mr 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that if I don't take care of myself, I will get run down, sick and stressed, and then I'm not much good to my children, or anyone else around me.

    I know that spending a week in the warmth and sun of Queensland has given me the boost I needed to get me through the rest of winter. I hope spring gets here soon :)

    Thanks for linking up with Things I Know this week :)

    ReplyDelete