Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My daughter the fat acceptance songstress

4yo, singing in the shower, after I've gotten out:

"Mummy's got big arms,
and a squishily bum,
and big long legs
and a wobbly tum
Cos Mummy's fat! And we're alright with that!"

Other than asking you to please note the excellent rhyming she did there, can I just say, simply, that I'm happy. I'm happy that she knows she can call me fat (which I am) without upsetting me or being reprimanded. I'm happy that she uses "fat" as a descriptor, not a pejorative. I'm happy that she is interested and curious about bodies that come in all shapes and sizes, and sets no greater store on one type than another.

The world will come in. Of course, it will. But just for now, I'm happy that my little girl thinks that everyone is acceptable and beautiful.

This is post 19 in NaBloPoMo. 19 down, 11 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment